Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Scariest Day Ever!

Tuesday was nuts!  I was folding the laundry in the Laundry Room and all of the sudden I hear screaming coming from Anya and Greyson like I have never heard before.  Anya ran in to me carrying Greyson and his finger was all bloody.  I grabbed him and looked closer and saw that the tip- between the joint and finger nail was BARELY attatched (sorry if this is too graphic.)  Em had accidently slammed it in their bedroom door on the hinge side.  I really FREAKED OUT!  I yelled at Anya to grab a wet paper towel- poor thing was SO scared she was still screaming and crying, but she was a HUGE helper!  I then yelled at her to call Greg's Dad and Marcia (since I was trying to hold his hand still) to watch the three girls so I could run him to the emergency room, but they weren't home.  So then I yelled at her to call Laura (Greg's sister who is a nurse & lives around the corner) and luckily she was home and was here in less than a minute.  (I ended up dialing because poor Anya couldn't do it- she was shaking and sobbing so hard.  I wasn't much better- I screamed at Laura on the phone and luckily she knew what I was saying:)  Way to be so fast LaLa!  In the meantime I had Haven clean up the bloody kitchen floor with a rag and the girls go get in the van since I knew I would want Laura to come with me.  Thankfully she did so she could hold his bloody hand still while I drove like a mad woman.

At the E.R. they looked at his finger and did an X-ray then numbed it so finally he quit screaming.  It looked like it just nicked the end of his bone and barely missed the tendon so that was a good sign.  They had to call up to Primary Children's to check with a hand specialist and they said we needed to go up to their E.R. since it was too bad to fix down here.  Greg's brother had called Greg so he was with me now so we dropped the kids and Laura off at her house (thanks so much for watching and spoiling them and making them feel better!)  Then we headed up north.

I was still pretty shaken up because Grey kept screaming and was trying to get his bandage off, but finally he fell asleep and I felt my stomache un-knot a little bit.  I kept telling Greg to drive faster and I was pretty cranky- sorry hon!
Anyway- we got to the E.R. and they were waiting for us and took us right back.  Then we had the E.R. Doc look at him and then the Plastic Surgeon who specializes in hands had to come look at it.  Then we had to wait for surgery since he had eaten breakfast earlier and then a couple of sips of milk on the way up.  Thankfully my sister, Krystle, was already up at the "U" with her husband who was getting his C.F. treatments and she came and hung out with us and showed Greyson stories and games on her IPAD.  It helped a TON!
This is Grey waiting for surgery- his finger was numb so he was pretty good natured.  He HATED all the wires on him though and kept trying to pull them off.
Then they came and started his I.V.  and @ 3:30 p.m. started surgery.  They let us stay in the room, even though I kinda wanted to leave, and we watched them sew him up.  I felt pretty sick because I am not great with all that blood.  They had to pull his fingernail off the rest of the way and after sewing his finger back on they sewed the nail back on to protect the skin underneath.  They don't really think he will ever have a nail grow back on that finger, but we just have to wait and see.
They had to give him the maximum amount of drugs since he wouldn't fall asleep and kept yelling and talking and trying to move.  The nurses and Dr. were laughing at him because he was such a funny "drunk".  He kept sticking his tongue out and chattered the whole time- it was pretty cute!
This is waiting for him to wake up after- he was pretty loopy
Anyway, after he woke up and drank something they let us go- about 6:00 p.m. I think.  Krys and Blaine got us dinner in the cafeteria so we wouldn't have to stop somewhere (& eat in front of Grey)- thanks guys!  We hadn't eaten since breakfast and were a little hungry.  Poor Grey was even hungrier!  When we were able to give him real food he ate and ate and ate and downed a ton of apple juice.
He stayed awake the whole way home- kinda loopy- and then crashed immediately in his crib.  I had to sleep on his floor since they told us to watch him really close for 24 hours to see if there were any reactions to all the meds.  Now we have to pump him full of antibiotics to fight infection.  I have to take him back up to the Plastic Surgeon in a week and keep his bandage on and dry until then.  Not an easy thing to do since he just wants it off so badly:)  He has already gotten it off 5 times now- ughhh!

We are so grateful that this wasn't any worse than it was- we are so very blessed.  Losing a little fingernail is no big deal in the long run right?  They think he will have full motion back to his finger.  I am a little bit disappointed in myself for how I handled the situation- not so calmly!  Hopefully I will be able to be a little more composed next time-  as I'm sure there will be a next time.  Everyone told me that a boy would be to the E.R. more than the girls- strange that it is true but totally not his fault this time:)

3 comments:

V said...

First Dramatic Event, been there done that, don't feel bad Ang, I didn't handle my kids situation very well ethier. It's hard to know how to handle things until your actually there. Glad things are OK. LOve ya!

ShaNeil said...

Poor Greyson! :( He's a trooper! :D Love ya!

Russel and Marcie Sipes said...

OH MAN!! That sounds awful. POOR BABY!! POOR MOMMY!!