Saturday, October 2, 2010

Conference Weekend

As I've gotten older I've found that I really love to watch General Conference. I used to read a book through it while catching some snatches of the talks here and there:) Not the best method, I'm sure. Now, Greg and I try to watch all the sessions and we tell our girls they have to (get to:) watch at least one session on Saturday and one on Sunday. Well, it is SO hard getting them to want to sit through 2 hours of talks- oh the agony! I've printed the Conference Packets you can find all over the Internet and found that they are more geared to older kids who can read well. Great for Oni- bad for Havie. So this year I printed a page from alittletipsy.com that is a girl peeking out from a bunch of pumpkins that have church words on them. The girls only get to color the parts of the pumpkins as they hear the words said in the talks. Worked like a charm in the first session- they sat for the whole 2 hours listening for the right words. Now if only we could get Em to be less of a distraction:)

We also made a special Conference treat and had a picnic outside between sessions to get the wiggles out. Then we hurried and harvested the garden (dug potato's and picked pumpkins and tomato's) before the cold weather came.

On Sunday we went to "watch" conference at Nana and Grandpa's house in Cedar Fort. Needless to say, we don't watch much because we are too busy visiting. I love it:) I especially love seeing my girls run around the same land that I used to as a little girl- picking apples off the tree, visiting and feeding the horses, playing with the cats, exploring the haystacks. If only the old tire swing and the old Cook house were still there. It's still and will always be one of my favorite places in the world- such good memories.

When we got home my SIL Katie called and invited us over for Cafe Rio pork salads. They are truly THE BEST ever- so yummy. It was a great weekend:)

Oh- one of my favorite talks was Elder Eyrings about how important it is to pay off any mortgaged debt. Greg and I have always had this goal of paying our home (& vehicles) off early and are constantly working towards it. It was nice to hear that our Church Leadership thinks it is so important also and that we are not just silly. In his talk, he talked about how they were able to sell off some land that they hadn't been able to for forever and it was almost the exact amount of their mortgage debt. This was right after they heard President Kimball counsel all the church members to try and do this and they decided it was important and prayed for help to accomplish this huge goal. Amazing! Now if only we had some spare land sitting around somewhere:)

No comments: